(From previously made pie crusts)
· On a lightly floured surface, roll and smooth out the dough.Should be a little thick.
· Use your fingers to work any broken pieces back together.
· Using the rim of a small bowl (about 5 inches in diameter), cut circles from the dough.
· You may need to flour the cookie cutter or glass between cuts.
Folding the Empanadas
Moisten the edges of the disk-shaped dough
Place the filling in the center of the disk-shaped dough.
Make sure not to place too much filling (usually 1 TBS)
Fold the dough in half and press the edges to secure the filling
Seal the empanada by pressing the edges with a fork
Prick the dough once with a fork to stop it from rising and opening the empanada while baking.
Baking the Empanadas
(If your empanadas (outer dough) begins to feel sticky, place empanadas in the fridge for about 15 or 20 mins until they are firm again. This will keep them from splitting during baking.)
· Preheat oven to 425 degrees
· Brush the stuffed empanadas with an egg wash mixture (1 egg beat with on tablespoon of water)
· Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown (you should also be able to smell the stuffing, which means it’s nice and hot)
· Allow to sit for 5 minutes, and serve hot